Foundation Center's Funding Information Network
The Chester County Library in Exton is part of the Foundation Center's Funding Information Network (formerly known as the Cooperating Collections Network).As part of this international network of libraries, community foundations, and other nonprofit agencies, the Chester County Library, Exton, provides visitors with free public access to the Foundation Center’s electronic databases.
Foundation Center Resources
- Foundation Directory Online Free: Includes basic profiles of nearly 90,000 U.S. foundations. For more advanced search options, such as program and interest field searches, visit the Chester County Library, Exton, to use Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Foundation Directory Online Professional: (In-library use at Chester County Library only): A premier grant seeking research tool. Search over 110,000 grantmaker profiles, 5 million awarded-grant records, 4,000 company profiles and more. Updated weekly.
- Foundation Grants to Individuals Online: (In-library use at Chester County Library only) Find funders that provide scholarships, fellowships, grants, and a wide range of financial support to individuals.
- Foundation Maps: (In-library use at Chester County Library only): Create maps to visualize the scope and reach of philanthropy-from local communities to countries around the globe. With the exception of Foundation Directory Online Free, the Foundation databases may be used in-library at the Chester County Library - Exton only. Please see the Reference Desk for log-in assistance. For more information on using our Funding Information Network Collection, please visit the Chester County Library, Exton, Reference Desk, call us at 610-280-2620 or email.
- Pennsylvania Foundations Online - In-library use at Chester County Library only Updated, online version of the Directory of Pennsylvania Foundations. Search by foundation name, county, city, zip code, major interest codes, total grants, contact person, and additional criteria. Search results include summary of recently-awarded grants, contact information, application guidelines, financial information, and more. (Please see the reference desk for log-in assistance.) For more information on using Pennsylvania Foundations Online, please visit the Chester County Library Reference Desk, call us at 610-280-2620, or email.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance: "…database of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally -recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi-public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals. After you find the program you want, contact the office that administers the program and find out how to apply.”
- Regional Foundation Center at the Philadelphia Free Library: "The Regional Foundation Center informs the local nonprofit sector through research, resources and referrals. The RFC houses Philadelphia's largest publicly accessible collection of print and electronic resources on fundraising, nonprofit management, general philanthropy and institutional advancement. The RFC also provides free access to the Foundation Directory Online-the most comprehensive database of U.S. grant makers and their grants. Through its comprehensive collection and professionally certified staff librarians, the RFC promotes responsible nonprofit management and successful fundraising by nonprofit groups at all levels- from grassroots startups to established institutions.”
- Federal Grants: Allows you to search and apply for federal grants. According to the website, "Grants.gov is a central storehouse for information on over 1,000 grant programs and provides access to approximately $500 billion in annual awards.” Also provides a wealth of information related to federal funding.
- Grants for Individuals: This compilation of resources focuses primarily on funding opportunities for individuals, such as financial aid or scholarships for students, rather than funding for nonprofit organizations. From the Michigan State University Libraries.
- Grants for Nonprofits: This compilation of resources focuses primarily on grants or funding sources for nonprofit organizations. A few categories (marked with an asterisk) are also of interest to individuals. From the Michigan State University Libraries.
- Grantsmanship Center - Funding Opportunities by State: Provides basic information on top grantmaking foundations in each state, and other state-specific information.
- Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development: Includes a Funding and Program Finder, which allows you to search for grants, loans, and initiatives offered through the Department of Community and Economic Development. Useful for seeking funding for business ventures, community projects, or site revitalizations in Pennsylvania.
- Books available through the Chester County Library System: Find out how to search online through our online catalog for additional books related to grant writing. Conduct a keyword search to search in our online catalog.
- Foundation Stats: Generate tables and charts on the size, scope, and giving priorities of the U.S. foundation community. All custom results can be downloaded for use in spreadsheets or exported as PDFs.
- IssueLab: Through IssueLab, the Foundation Center of New York is working to more effectively gather, index, and share the collective intelligence of the social sector. IssueLab provides free access to thousands of case studies, evaluations, white papers, and issue briefs addressing some of the world's most pressing social problems.
- The Foundation Center's Guide to Proposal Writing, 5th Edition: The new audio version of this popular title is available free of charge.
- Grantspace.org: GrantSpace is the Foundation Center’s learning community for the social sector. Access a wide of variety of resources to gain the knowledge and skills needed to find funding, manage your nonprofit, and improve your community.
- : Includes types of grant makers and grants, general grant making terms, and financial terms.
- Guide to Funding Research: Free online tutorial from the Foundation Center.
- Pennsylvania Department of State Bureau of Charitable Organizations: "Information for starting & registering charitable organizations in PA. Links to regulations/forms needed for all states.”
- Proposal Writing Short Course: Online short course from the Foundation Center. Available in five different languages.